3 BlackBerry valley crt caledon 416 768 0525 info@colorsimmigration.com

Work Permit

Each year many foreign workers enters Canada to work temporarily. These foreign workers help to fill the shortage of workers in various sectors. There are different types of work permits provided by the immigration of Canada.


An open work permit gives authorization to work for any employer in Canada. Open work permit you cannot apply individually and is normally attached with another application already submitted.


As of June 18, 2019, you may be able to apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot (NOC 4411) or Home Support Worker Pilot (NOC 4412) if you: meet the eligibility requirements, and have a job offer to work in one of these occupations.

Through these pilots, you’ll get an open work permit to come to Canada and work temporarily. This work permit:

  • is occupation-restricted (so you have to work in that specific occupation)
  • doesn’t need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA
  • let's you get the work experience you need to be eligible for permanent residence

If you recently worked as a home child care provider or support worker, your experience may count towards your eligibility for permanent residence.


  • Job offer
  • Language Proficiency, CLB 5
  • Education, 1-year Canadian post-secondary education or foreign equivalent
  • Work experience in NOC codes 4411 or 4412
1) Obtain a Work Permit
a) Submit application for permanent residence and work or study permit(s) for yourself and your family.
b) Get your occupation specific work permit to obtain the work experience you need for PR.
c) Get your work or study permits for your spouse or common-law partner and children to accompany you.
2) Permanent Residence (PR)

Through these two program you will get work permit to come to Canada and after two years you can get permanent residency of Canada.

POST Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP) allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience in National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0 or skill level A or B that is gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class within Express Entry.

To be eligible for a PGWP:
  • You must have completed a program of study that lasted at least eight months and led to a degree, diploma or certificate.
  • You must have studied full –time each academic session without taking time away from studies. This does not include scheduled program breaks. such as winter break or summer break for undergraduate students
  • You must have completed at least 50% of your program in Canada, which is calculated based on the number of courses completed in Canada.
  • You must have completed at least 50% of your program in-person.
You’re still eligible for the PGWP:
  • If you studied part-time in your final academic session only
  • If you took an authorized gap in studies for less than 150 days
  • If you were eligible for the temporary policies in place until August 31, 2022 which allow courses moved online due to COVID-19 to count towards the length of your PGWP as well as permit more than 50% of studies to be completed online or outside of Canada. See the following FAQs for details on eligibility:

Under this program spouse of international students and workers can apply for open work permit.

Spouse or common-law partners of students may apply for a Work Permit if you are a full-time student and you have a valid Study Permit. Your spouse/partner will not require a job offer to apply, and his/her permit will be valid for the same period as your study permit.

Foreign workers who are working in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer. They can also apply their spouse on open work permit from outside or inside Canada